Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Keeping a Design Folder

Here's some advice. Keep a folder (be it physical or computery) of all of the things you love. I save pictures of furniture, wall treatments, clothing, graphic designs, desktop backgrounds, artwork, all sorts of jazz. It doesn't matter if the shelving from a recent edition of Martha Stewart living costs $2, 650. Keep it. Why? Well....

For starters I think the easiest way to figure out your design style is to collect an assortment of pictures and pick our similar items. I think you'll start to see a trend toward certain colors, time periods, and patterns. And, I think it's much easier to decorate when you have a good idea of what you're going for.

Also, if you want to recreate a particular room, it will be much easier if you have something tangible to look at to pick out your copy-cat items. If someone else is going to make something for you, having a picture will also make it bookoos easier for them.

Lastly, whenever I get in one of those moods to think about decorating or creating something, I love to look through pictures of things I love. It helps to get my mind running on the right creative track.

-Carly

1 comment:

  1. I think Pinterest might be for you! It is essentially a way to bookmark design inspiration online. It's by invitation, so if you are interested let me know your email address and I'll invite you! Whoohoo!

    ReplyDelete