Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Simple Holiday Garland


Wanting to sprinkle some wintry delight around my entire house, I opted to make a garland to swag on the full length mirror in my bedroom. Most of the garlands I have seen this season were too stiff and perfect looking. I wanted something craftier!

For this garland, I purchased 1/4 yards of three colors of fleece from my favorite local fabric shop, FM on Sunshine and Freemont. I actually needed less, but 1/4 of a yard is the smallest quantity you can purchase. I chose fleece because it is warm and cozy and the edges won't fray.

I cut the width of the fleece into leaf shapes using pinking shears. I tried regular scissors and found them to be slow and cumbersome. (Maybe it's because my scissors are crap?) Anywho, you can leave a "tab" of fabric at the stem of the leaf or not. After completing my garland I think I would have preferred all the leaves without tabs. Use some yarn or kitchen twine and hot glue the leaves starting from a center point and working your way to the ends. Alternate colors and angles to give your garland a natural look. After I hung my garland I found I needed to cut a few more leaves and hot glue them in place to fill spaces. I also added a few floral stems of red berries by twisting them around the garland. Total cost = about $3 This garland would look lovely on a fireplace, shelf, or swagged above a doorway.


No comments:

Post a Comment