Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Front Porch Re-Paint


I knew our front porch needed to be re-painted. The mat had peeled away the (poorly done) paint job of the previous owners. I had a stencil all lined out, but our vacation to New Orleans found me some unexpected inspiration. At a deli in Midtown I spotted these beautiful distressed floors. Mind you, distressed from years of wear, not a faux job. The graphic pattern made me change the entire scheme of my front porch. I used this stencil paper and cut out the simple pattern. I chose a dark blue, white, and the blue of our door for my color family then sealed it up with a concrete sealer.

Some tips for stenciling your own porch...

  • Everyone recommends paint especially for concrete and porches. I didn't have any. I'll report back if it starts to come up.
  • Don't put very much paint on your mini-roller. It seeps under the edges of your stencil.

  • Make a grid so you can keep the pattern as straight as possible.

  • If you're rubbish at keeping things straight, go for an all over pattern that can overlap and doesn't need to be precise to look good.

  • Don't want to attempt making your own stencil? No sweat (or guilt). Buy one of these amazing stencils on Etsy!


No comments:

Post a Comment