Sunday, January 23, 2011

Painted "Wallpaper" Bathroom

Recently I showed you a vintage linen towel of (of all things) New Zealand. The colors were the perfect inspiration for my hall bathroom. The old color scheme of grey and blue was a bit too cold and dreary, especially since this room doesn't get any natural light. I wanted something warmer and the creams and red oranges of that towel were the ticket! I found some inspiration from a grey and abstract floral wallpaper. I kept the design simple, using large circles and a few leaves I made with stamps. You can see how to make your own stamps here. Unlike wallpaper, my design was cheap and semi-permanent. I'm still missing a few items like a frame for my towel, but it's well on it's way to being an awesome awesome bathroom.


Some advice for doing something similar on your own

  • Find some inspiration. Working from a photo of wallpaper you like will be easier.

  • Keep it simple. Unless you're a perfection whiz, don't pick a pattern that has to be completely straight. My design has plenty of flaws, but they aren't as apparent in a diagonal.
  • Paint in stages. I started with the circles, then added leaves, then connected them with lines.
  • Use paint from the "oops" section of hardware stores or even paint samples to keep from buying more paint than you need. I had all of these colors at my house sans the dark grey, but since I'm using it to repaint the bathroom cabinet and several other items in my house, I don't mind.
P.S. Notice our artwork? I like a traditional monogram, but this one is twofold. Not only do they hang in our water closet, err, bathroom, my name is Carly and my husband is Wes.

2 comments:

  1. Love your "wall paper". Colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly, you are so talented! Your walls look amazing! Jeff & I went to an estate sale this weekend...our first one ever. We didn't buy anything, but it was fun to look.

    ReplyDelete