Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Inspiration from a Chemistry Lab


Inspiration can strike anywhere, anytime. I loved the pattern on a recently purchased pair of panties so much I used it as the floral motif in my bathroom. It's so easy to be inspired by fabric, craft supplies, or other houses, but when you really let yourself take things in as what they could be instead of just what they already are you'll find even ordinary things to be very inspiring. Recently I spent an hour with my husband in his chemistry lab at a local college. I was instantly drawn to the tapes above. They are used in lab for labeling. Each color can mean something different. They aren't especially sticky, but I managed to use a few bits to tape down my tennis shoe laces for the day. I think they would be marvelous when wrapping presents or even in artwork. A stark white canvas could just burst with little lines of beautiful tape! Below are my additional findings.

In lab these beakers hold all sorts of concoctions. In your home they would be beautiful bud vases, an arrangement on a shelf, or filled with buttons or shells or marbles. They could sprout a small plant or used to support a tray in a cabinet to create a shelf.





A rack is so versatile. How about a nice spot for spools of thread or balls of yarn? A very unique dish drainer in the kitchen or mounted on a wall to hang jewelry. Your bracelets would stay tidy, wouldn't they?





Kitchen items aren't only found in kitchen stores in the kitchen section. This rubber mitt is for picking up hot beakers and containers in the lab, but it looks like a dandy oven mitt to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment