Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sage Dawson of Map Mint


I'm so delighted to be posting my FIRST artist interview with the incredibly talented, personal friend, Sage Dawson. Below is her interview and links to see her stuff.

Name: Sage Dawson

Site: MAP MINT

Where did you go to school?
I went to Missouri State University where I completed a BFA in Painting & Printmaking. Then I moved to New Mexico where I attened the University of New Mexico and completed an MFA in Printmaking with a minor in Museum Studies.

Current Occupation:
Professional Artist & Part Time Faculty member at Missouri State University

What is your dream job?
I go back and forth between working full time in my studio or accepting a full time teaching position at a research institution that majorly supports faculty's creative research. I really like what Portland State University is doing & I'm a big fan of interdisciplinary programs.

How did you get started?

I had an interest in art early on and at some point decided I was interested enough to take a couple college level classes. From there, my interest and desire to learn grew and I decided to major in art. I was fortunate to work with a handful of faculty that were passionate and engaged in contemporary practices.


How would you describe your work?

Map-based works rooted in concepts related to the identity of spaces and how their production and destruction affects people. The work relies heavily on landscape, personal experience, and sense of place.


What sort of materials do you use?

Most of my work is created using mixed media and printmaking processes. Lately I've been working with handmade paper, gold leaf, collography (relief printmaking), silkscreen, vintage maps & embroidery.


Where do you find inspiration?

When in need of inspiration, first I'll head to the library to pick up new books. I also spend time online looking at artist websites and bookmarking them at my Pinterest Boards for future inspiration. There are a number of blogs I stop by every morning (cup of coffee in hand) which help make each morning bright.


I'm fortunate to feel a strong sense of community with artists and designers I've met online through my blog Map Mint and artists/art historians/curators I met in college and through exhibitions and lectures. I'm also indebted to my friends and mentors, many of which are incredibly gifted in their fields of study.


What is the hardest thing about being an artist?

I think there many misconceptions, like any other field. Successful art, in my opinion, is not just formalistically considerate, but considers content, involves considerable research and time, and is public and communal in nature. It's also hard to fund projects and to split my time between teaching and art making. I love academia though, it's just a challenge to transition from one to the other because the two are often very different.


How long does it normally take to finish a piece?

It varies depending on the scale and intricacy of the piece. This has ranged from a few hours to working steadily on a piece for a couple years.


What has been your proudest moment (in relation to your art, work)?

The day I finished "Itinerary Map West Through Space & Time" was one of my best moments. The piece is 24 feet x 8 feet roughly and it's a mixed media print. This piece was difficult to complete because the printing process was so indirect. As a result, much of the piece is hand-printed with a spoon. It was physically exhausting due to the scale and it took me a year and half (working 40-60 hrs each week) to finish the piece.


Also ranking up there with best moments, is every time I've sold a piece. I love it when my work finds a good home.


What advice would you give to someone who wants to go to art school or work in an art related field?

Surround yourself with people who are honest about your work, no matter how difficult it is to hear. Be self-motivated. Accept responsibility for your work and be honest with your public.


What do you like to do besides your main work?
I like evening walks in my neighborhood with my husband and our pup, thrifting, time with friends, embroidering and restoring my 1960s era motorcycle. I love sweets...so I'm often baking something or talking my husband into an Amy Cakes cinnamon roll.

Do you think someone can learn to be a better artist?

Yes, art making is a lot like learning anything else. Some people have a natural gift, but most artists had to start from scratch to learn the principles to create successful compositions. When I started making art for the first time I was unsuccessful, but what I had going for me was a commitment to practice until I learned skills that became second nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment