Saturday, July 3, 2010

Create Art From Fabric Scraps



A few months ago I picked up a baggie of fabric triangles from a garage sale not knowing what I would do with them. For 15 cents, I thought it was a fair investment for a future craft project. I recently moved into a new house, and bought some frames from IKEA to fill a large wall in my living room. Taking inspiration from old quilts, I used the triangles to fill one of my frames.

  • To start, cut all of your fabric scraps into small triangles making sure they are the same size. For a less quilty look, use different sizes or shapes of fabric.

  • Find a piece of paper or thin cardboard the size of your mat opening to use as a base then arrange your pieces. I used fabrics that mimicked the colors in my house, but a more monochromatic scheme in different hues and patterns would also look beautiful.

  • Attach your fabric to the base with glue dots or hot glue. I like to lay out pieces then glue so I can make changes if need be.

  • Slip your base into your frame and there you have it!

I was thinking of other uses for this project. Sometimes people want to give you blankets or quilts but you might not appreciate them or have a need for another blanket. You could ask for a finished quilt square instead. Another twist on this project is the ole t-shirt quilt. I have one, but it took me eons to finish it. Instead of the whole shirt, cut up scraps of your t-shirts (or memorable clothing from your family) for lovely memories in an easy-to-hang and no sew way.

No comments:

Post a Comment